Monday, September 12, 2016

Toulon, France


 
 
 
   
First visit to Toulon, France, and quite impressed with the sail-in itself, though it still wasn't light enough to shoot decent photos. Toulon is situated on the southern France Mediterranean coast, lined with beautiful sandy beaches and shingle coves. It's a huge naval base and the harbor is home to many submarines and warships, as well as fishing boats and ferries. There's a museum in the harbor itself, known as The Grand National de la Marine, and as you would expect, exhibits very interesting maritime artifacts. The view from the harbor is spectacular, with rugged limestone mountains that form a backdrop to the city, and a cable car is visible as well that shuttles tourists up Mount Faron. It reminds us of Cape Town, but on a much smaller scale of course. The population here is only around 175,000. Right across the street from the port is a very nice rugby stadium - they tell us the team was pretty lousy last season, but in both 2014 & 15, they were number one in all of Europe.



We're newcomers to France. I apologize in advance if I offend any of our French heritage friends in the U.S., but you know I tell it like it is. We've heard in the past that Americans weren't received with a great deal of courtesy here. Not necessarily blatantly rude, but definitely not as warm & welcoming as folks in other parts of Europe. Maybe it was just luck of the draw yesterday, but everyone we met yesterday was very nice...from the tour guide to shop-keepers to waiters. Frankly, I was looking for 'the atitude' I've heard so much about, but I didn't see or feel it at all. I've always believed that if you treat others with common, garden-variey courtesy & respect, they will respond in kind - most people, that is. So far, so good! And what a beautiful language they have! Admitedly, it was easier to communicate in Spain, but everyone I conversed with was very patient with me today...the most important question being, where's the bathroom, please?

In terms of our tour today, we could've done much better based on feedback from other passengers. We opted to take the drive to Cassis - a small community about a 30-minute bus trip from the port. We drove through the metro area of Toulon to get there, and found it to be very clean with several historic, well-preserved buildings. The only real negative for me was the graffiti - much more prevalent than any port in Spain, but nonetheless very nice. Cassis was billed as the most romantic place on earth...and that's what inspired me to select that particular tour. Long story short, it wasn't. It was very nice - a pretty town on the Med nestled at the base of a medieval castle - a charming fishing port - numerous sidewalk cafes, and a small beach. But to advertise it as a lovers paradise is a huge stretch. On my 0-to-10 scale, I'd give it a four. Just up the road from us in Phoenix is Sedona and again, on my scale, I'd give that place a strong eight.

The landscape between Toulon & Cassis can best be compared with southern California - either La Jolla or Rancho Bernardo. Very similar home styles, rolling hills, but instead of avocado trees, picture acres and acres of grape vines. Cheryl doesn't drink wine, but I'm a huge fan of good reds. I had a couple glasses of locally produced red - it was OK - I wouldn't buy a bottle - I found it to be very dry. I like the heavy, silky, nutty, smoke-flavored reds with a nice berry mix.

Our tablemates took a bus to nearby Marseille and from their description, it sounds like we would've enjoyed that trip much more, but, I didn't do my homework as thorough as I normally do. Plus, I was intrigued with the writen description of Cassis.

Once back on the ship, we went up to the Lido for a late lunch, had a very light dinner at 5:30, skipped the evening entertainment, returned to our cabin at 7:30, watched a movie and called it a day. Here I sit at my normal 4am - forecast for the day in Calvi, Corsica is yet for another sunny day, and just a little north of 80 degrees. Smooth sailing once again - I don't think we've had swells exceeding 2' the entire trip - and I'm told that's pretty normal this time of year for sea conditions in the Med. Disappointing for us, as you know. We're keeping our fingers crossed for a little rocking & rolling at some point! 











































 



































 

 
Image result for toulon france

                               Image result for toulon france

                               Image result for toulon france

                               Image result for toulon france


                                Image result for toulon france

                                Image result for toulon france




No comments: