Sunday, October 2, 2016

Ionian Sea

Our tablemates, Roger & Norma Miller, from Escondido, CA. Such wonderful folks! We've enjoyed their companionship immensely, & plan to build on our friendship once home. Just a few miscellaneous shots here. The authntic Greek baklava was unlike any I've ever tasted...and that deep, dark & muddy Greek coffee made my hair fall out...but was soooo good! Note: ashtrays are typically placed on all tables here.
__________________________________________________
 

We've been sailing the Ionian Sea and will arrive in Navplion at 10am tomorrow morning, some 18 hours from now. This will be another new destination for us, in addition to Mykonos on Wednesday. Weather continues to be exceptionally good, though daily highes have been gradually climbing as we head southeast and the forecast for the balance of the week is mid-80's to low-90's.
Naviplion is being described as a, "quiet town, still a best kept secret for those who know  of its picturesque scenery, historical fortitude, and simple convenience."

These types of descriptions can either prove exceptionally good or the opposite. More often than not, the latter is the case, but you can always find something unique and interesting with every port, even if its just pulling a chair up to a stranger and asking them about their city. I've done that many times and have inevitably learned something new about culture & lifestyles. My dad always told me, that your ears outnumber your mouth - ask a question...listen & learn.
Speaking of which...

Today, I sat down with a fellow passenger - a gentlemen from Australia with his Indonesian wife. I have two quick stories to share. The first is heartwarming  & encouraging. To better understand my passion for urban & civil pride, read my Bombay blog - I provided the link yesterday at the request of several on the heels of our stop in Arbania, not knowing that I'd again be referencing it (Bombay) as a source document today. The second story is a tragedy - absolutely disgusting...and if this guy hadn't been with his wife who also engaged in the conversation, I wouldn't have believed him. Not a single word.

So the first story. This guy lives in Australia, but commutes regularly to Jakarta. He designs and builds rice fields and municipal water systems. He asked if I'd been in Jakarta recently. We were there in 2013. He asked my impression. I used Bombay as a comparison...that if Bombay were a '10' on my personal scale of urban decay, filth, and general disgust, Jakarta would probably score a 4-5...no where near the level of Bombay's deterioration, but still a city in need of a facelift and general discipline. He said that two years ago, a new mayor was elected and had one primary objective - get the city cleaned up. Easy to say, and typically, similar endeavors can take a decade or more. He said this new mayor hired thousands of residents - some were given green uniforms, some orange. The green people worked on landscaping - the orange worked on general clean-up. He paid them all minimum wage...$2,400 USD p/year...and provided free education & health care to their children. He said the city of Jakarta is now immaculate - a complete transformation in just under two years, and that the program itself is now permanent & deeply ingrained culturally. He said residents now have a level of pride & commitment never thought possible ...except by one new mayor who had a vision, drive & determination. Again, read my Bombay blog. Case closed my friends! I love it!

Second story - this one is very disappointing if true. If any of our followers can validate or disprove, I'd sure appreciate the feedback either way and will share in this forum...anonymously of course. First, a brief history. Bali is one of the larger homes for not only many Holland America employees, but the cruise industry in general. We've visited twice, our last was in 2014. It's always a heartwarming experience as many crew members are reuniting with their families for the first time in several months...some are meeting their babies for the very first time, and so on. The family members are allowed onboard the ship for the day so crew members can share their workstations, introduce them to other friends, and generally just love on each other for a few hours until the ship sets sail. It's an emotionally charged day for everyone involved, and we always look forward to experiencing it. I was told yesterday that when a cruise ship arrives in Bali...ANY ship...ANY cruise line...that the vessel is immediately boarded by the police chief and several officers, and that they demand cash & wine in return for the privilege of docking for the day. Further, family members wishing to greet their loved ones must pay a stiff fee to enter the port. No set fee, it varies by family based on their ability to pay. This sounds absolutely ridiculous, and if this guy I spoke with had not been with his wife who's from Bali originally, I would've completely disregarded this story.  They went on to say that govenment ID's, to include passports, can be acquired in less than a day, and that basically, cash drives adoptions, underage sex, drugs, you name it. Is this possible??? More often than not in foreign ports, ships are met by local dignitaries - you see it time and again. And typically, there are local music groups of some nature performing at the pier in celebration of arrival. But in Bali, amidst all the hoopla & joy, is there a dark undercurrent of corruption -  does the police chief ACTUALLY demand cash & wine?? Does the Bali Port Authority ACTUALLY charge family members to greet their loved ones?? Again, I need some help & input with this. I plan to approach a few Holland America employees over the next few days myself, though I was told it's pretty hush-hush. I don't know - we'll see. I just have a tough time wrapping my head around any of it - it goes against every moral fiber I have.

Enough on that for now...what's happening with our two football teams this year...Arizona & Carolina?? Ouch...
























 

No comments: