Monday, October 3, 2016

Navplion

As I mentioned yesterday, Naviplion was being described as a, "quiet town, still a best kept secret for those who know of its picturesque scenery, historical fortitude, and simple convenience." I also said that these types of descriptions can either prove exceptionally good or just the opposite. This wasn't exceptionally good...it was EXTRAORDINARY!

We dropped anchor just before 9am. After a quick breakfast and before the large tour groups started ashore, we grabbed one of the first tenders and by 9:45, were well on our way toward hiking completely around the base of the Acronauplia Castle - stone walls dating back to pre-classical times. The walk was breathtaking as you'll see in many of the photos. A combination marble and flagstone path led the entire route - towering cliffs dotted with pines & prickly-pear cacti, winding down to beautiful, pristine coves where morning sunbathers were relaxing with books and iPods. Many were several hundred yards out to sea getting their morning exercise. There are few places where we've enjoyed a hike more - simply magnificent!

After about two hours, we arrived in the small city - one of the cleanest, well-kept communities in the Med. The small streets & alleys were so clean, I almost felt guilty wearing shoes. You could lightly detect the smell of lemon-scent Pinsol throughout...that clean, fresh smell, but not overpowering. Every shop, every kiosk, every sidewalk cafe...meticulously clean. I commented to as many residents as I could, how very beautiful their community was. Of course, most couldn't understand my words...but I'll bet they picked up on my smile!

Just a gorgeous, perfect day...except one thing. Cheryl picked up my chest infection. It started to set-in yesterday but she was optimistic she could throw it before it got too serious. It really hit her after we returned from our hike today, so she's now comfortably tucked-in for the evening at 4pm...I have my apron on, and at her beckon call!

I hear her bell ringing...time to go!!










































































































 

 

No comments: